Preschool Makes a Difference provides scholarships for low-income children to attend high-quality preschool. The Thomas J. Long Foundation funds this program.
Why preschool? Para la descripción en Español haga click aquí.
Your child’s early years are very important. Research tells us that 90 percent of a child’s brain is developed by age 5. Research shows that children who attend high-quality preschool are:
- More likely to start kindergarten fully prepared to learn and less likely to start school with delays.
- More likely to be better citizens and are less likely to require expensive social services.
- More likely to graduate high school and earn more and less likely to drop out and be jailed.
Use the links below to locate a quality preschool for your child. These preschools have been assessed for quality, have well-trained teachers, and provide stimulating learning environments. Learn more about high quality preschool
Preschools are listed by geographic regions of Contra Costa County. The regions are color coded: West = green, Central = blue, South = black, and East = red. Find your region, then click on it for a list of PMD-certified preschools in your area.
Preschool Makes a Difference scholarships may only be used at high-quality licensed child care programs that have been pre-screened and approved through an application process. Scholarships are for families who:
- meet income eligibility requirements
- with children age 3, 4 or 5 years old (and entering kindergarten in the coming 2 years)
- reside in zip codes 94801, 94804 or 94806 and enter kindergarten in West Contra Costa schools
- reside in zip code 94565 and enter kindergarten in Pittsburg schools
- reside in zip codes 94509 or 94531 and enter kindergarten in Antioch schools
- reside in zip codes 94518, 94519, 94520 and enter kindergarten in Mt. Diablo schools
To apply, contact:
- West County: (925) 676-6610 ext. 7214
- Central/East County: (925) 676-6610 ext. 2221